Benefits of an Atlanta Geological Society (AGS) membership:
- Lectures/monthly meetings– AGS has monthly meetings / lectures and is one of the most active geological societies in the southeast. Meetings are held the last Tuesday of each month except December. During the pandemic, capabilities to met via webcast were added.
- Be a speaker – Do you need practice for speaking in front of a group? Or to prepare fora thesis or dissertation defense? AGS would like to help you prepare for your important talk by offering you a chance to speak to our group.
- Networking – AGS meetings include professionals, academics, regulators, and others who all share an interest in Geological Sciences, offering great networking opportunity.
- Location– AGS meets at the Fernbank Museum of Natural History, which is a truly awesome facility central to most of our membership.
- Education – AGS provides opportunities to enhance geoscience education this includes:
- PG Study Group– AGS offers Professional Geologist development training classes in preparation for taking the ASBOG examinations. The workshops are generally held the last Saturday of each month except December at the Fernbank Science Center. For more information click here.
- Continuing Education Credit– AGS is recognized by Alabama, South Carolina, and other professional organizations to provide Professional Development Hours (PDH) for our lectures, field trips, and workshops. For more information click here.
- Teacher grants— The Norman Sandford Pottinger Earth Science Education Mini-grant Program intends to supplement the K-12 classroom teacher’s operating budget. The funds provide opportunities to enhance and enrich Earth Science learning. For more information click here
- Communication— AGS provides information and announcements pertinent to the geoscience community via Monthly Newsletters and its Web Site.
- Resume – AGS membership and involvement on one of our many committees will enhance your resume.
- Cost– AGS membership ($25 general; $10 student) is the most inexpensive for any geological society in the southeast. Corporate membership ($200) includes membership for 5 individuals and advertisement in our newsletter and on our website. TO JOIN CLICK HERE
- Socializing—The AGS offers opportunities to socialize with other members at our meetings, classes, and field trips.
- Refreshments and Snacks– AGS offers free pizza and soft drinks before our monthly meetings at the Museum.
- Summer Social – The AGS hosts an annual social at the Fernbank Museum during the summer. This includes a meal and a free movie on Fernbank’s 4K giant screen. This event is free to AGS members with a nominal fee charged to their guests.
TO JOIN CLICK HERE
TO RENEW MEMBERSHIP CLICK HERE